Sunday, June 22, 2008

Admitting the funk

It is almost 3:00 pm Sunday, it is an odd day, the sun cannot decide if it wants to be shining or not and we have had a couple down pours. I have been sitting here most of the day thinking about my weight loss and I have to admit that I feel as though I have been slipping lately and what I mean when I say slipping I mean grabbing a couple extra olives with my Ground turkey tacos and not putting them into my excel sheet, or eating 2 Dunkin Donuts Munchkins while driving to the park and not putting them into the excel sheet right on down to taking a bite of macaroni and cheese that I made for the kiddos for lunch to "taste" it and see that it was "all the way done" bottom line, it needs to stop. Just 2 months ago these are the things that I would remind wify that she should not be doing and here I am with my hand in the cookie jar if you will. My exercise has slacked off as well, granted I do have a back injury and it did in fact act up a couple of weeks ago and I will admit that I am a bit worried about getting back into the workouts again because I don't want that pain to return, but then as I type that it sounds so much like an excuse to me, and I know that I need to get back into the frame of mind I was in back 2 months ago because I am admitting right now that I got comfortable and am in fact not being as strict with myself lately. I mentioned this very same thing about getting comfortable to a friend of mine that also blogs just a day or so ago and that comment on Robyn's page really got me thinking about being comfortable and slipping into old habits so I decided to take my own advice and fix it. I thought that if I posted on my blog and gave full disclosure about this fact that it would maybe help me re-focus and get back on track.

Now if you are a regular reader of my page you might be thinking "but you Mr. Meatball lose weight each week like clockwork" or "slipping here and there is not really a bad thing as long as you don't over do it we do after all need treats" yes I do lose each and every week, and yes it is ok to slip up here and there, BUT in the past 2-3 weeks I know that I have gotten comfy with the size I am and I AM slipping. I am approaching a weight and strength level that allows me to do whatever I want to do, I don't get out of breath any more, I do not have back pain related to just being too heavy, and I can out pace my bottle of energy running fool of a son on a hiking trail and not even feel it. I am back to a weight and fitness level that allows me to be active and in control of what I do and plain and simple I am getting too comfortable with it.

I have a long way to go before I am done with losing weight and just because I fit into the clothing that I was wearing when I met my wife 9 years ago and feel awesome that I am back to that size or at least very close to it does not mean its time to light the fireworks and call up the parade people. now with all of that said, I am not slipping to the point that I am not still losing, I am in fact still working very hard to eat properly and get exercise in, I do track my intake daily and do not eat mindlessly, all I am saying is that I have not been as diligent in the last couple weeks as I was in the beginning.

Here starts a new beginning.

As Ever
Me

5 comments:

  1. Tony,
    I have been reading a lot about how powerful our thoughts are. Our thoughts and our actions are directly connected. I think, by you coming on here today and stating what you have, you are back on track, as your actions will follow your thinking. I can contribute a lot of what if's, and maybe tomorrow's in my world, and I know these are partially to blame. There is a lot of literature to read about emotional eating. It's much deeper than eat x ammt of calories and exercise. The emotions can unconsciously sabotage and the more guilt, the worse things can get. I guess what I'm trying to say is, YOU have had the right attitude from the beginning. I dont know anyone else out there who has had the success you have had. Keep the mindset, it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well before I write anything about your post I saw this recipe and it made me think of you -- it has tea and hardboiled eggs! I have not tried it yet but I thought of your beet eggs when I saw this recipe.

    http://www.winosandfoodies.com/2008/06/my-entry-1.html

    I understand where you are coming from. You are Zeus and you have probably put a lot of pressure on yourself because of your past/current successes.

    Truth of the matter though is that you see what your downfalls are and are admitting to them. A LOT of people don't do that. (I have my share of stubborn disbelief and lack of honest realizations) Praise your good qualities and remember how successful you ARE so that you can continue with your positive thinking.

    Like what you have been telling Robyn -- you know the way to weight loss so all you have to do is do it! it is soooo easy to say though and not half as easy to do heh?

    At your starting weight, and probably still for a bit, weight loss will be achievable w/o any exercise. The problem with that is that you do get accustomed and "spoiled" and will have a hard time when the tables turn and your weight will not come off w/o reducing calories even more.

    BUT why do it that way?
    why reduce calories again? why be happy w/ weight loss and not whole body health? YOu have to think that at the starting weight you were your muscle mass would have to be high to "carry" everything around but now you are 100plus pounds lighter. Your body will not need as much muscle anymore and if you don't use it you will lose it.

    You are the first person that comes to mind when I think of weight loss success stories to tell my friends and family. (no pressure! ha ha) I am glad you vent on the blog and honestly what you are admitting to will not curtail your progress. Little slips are normal and part of life -- the attitude you have about it will be he biggest factor.

    don't be bummed out! you have already done the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very wise. It is called being fully aware of what goes in your mouth and nipping it in the bud..because we all know where it can lead...to weight gain.

    And just think...if you already feel this good now..How GOOD will you feel at like say 230?? You will feel out of this world awesome and your HEART will thank you! You are choosing not just to feel better but to FEEL "out of this world awesome"!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear that bad energy is just as contagious as good energy. We all need to get out of our 'funks' and pass on the good mojo to each other ;) I was having a major bummer of a day yesterday...Sunday, but I feel good this morning...even with a gain on the scale :( I'm certainly not happy about it, but I'm not letting it get me down. I'm going to beat this thing...I'm going to WIN by losing. I will do whatever it takes this week to get back to where I was last week...and possibly lower. I hate hate hate the way I've felt for the past week and I want that feeling to go away...poof...byebye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM SO GLAD YOU WROTE THIS POST!!! It makes me feel a whole lot more like a "normal" person...to know that you (the dieter of dieters) have had similar struggles lately with keeping to your strict plan!!!

    I can't help but feel that the contagious "funk" could be all MY fault!!!! Just more the reason for me to do GOOD and brag about it! If only all of us could be competitive dieters, and we could all think to ourselves, "I'm going to stick to MY plan for a larger percentage of the time than _____ this week." So, if you stick to your plan 90% of the time this week, maybe I could aim for sticking to it for 95% of the time to beat you!!! Hahaha...what a joke, though...I could never beat you on the "sticking to it."

    Anyway....I'm so glad to see that you aren't afraid to admit to those extra olives and that "taste" of macaroni and cheese....and you should know that I'd be willing to bet that EVERYONE that has dieted before or is dieting now has committed the exact same crime...and the difference is: The ones that aren't "dieting" anymore are the ones that didn't admit to it really, and fell off the wagon. The ones that are still on the wagon are the ones that admit to their dieting sins, ask for forgivenss, and keep going. You are the leader of that pact - and I definitely have to give you a lot of credit for grabbing onto my hand and pulling me back onto the wagon right as I was starting to slip off many times since I've met you (well, "met" you might not be the word really...I guess I "found" you).

    So, I am not worried about you one bit. I don't even feel like you are at risk of slipping off of the wagon at all....but it is good to have an emergency plan in place, in case the wagon tips over or something. You have to figure out how to get it going again before you start going backwards (like I had started to do last week) with your weight loss. Because going backwards is the ultimate enemy in all of this. We've said "goodbye" to the weight we have lost, and the goal should always be to AT LEAST keep it from coming back. There's always tomorrow to do so good that you'll take more weight off - - but today's the day that you have to keep the pounds from coming back on.

    Novel comment. Sorry...I've had a buildup of non-commenting that I just had to get out.

    ReplyDelete