Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Popped my Gym Cherry.

Monday provided me my first chance to check out the gym that I joined so I headed on over after dropping my daughter off at school and have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised with the entire experience. My initial feeling was that I would walk in and it would be all eyes on the fat kid but of course that's not how it went down at all. I had decided before I walked in that I was just going to take a walk around and check out the machines and then I would take a ride on a stationary bike, so after a brief walk around the whole gym I found an unoccupied bike and hopped on. I rode for 25 minutes on that bike and then onto a recumbent bike for a short pedal on a much higher setting than I did on the regular bike and ended up riding for another 7 minutes and something that I noticed was that no one could care any less about anyone else that was in the room, besides me of course as I am sort of a people watcher, funny how that worked out eh?

I found the staff to be very helpful and one girl even offered to come over and show me whatever I needed to know about anything in the whole place after I told her that it was my first time "just come on over and get me if you need help with anything" and she even checked in with me about 20 minutes after I got there to make sure that I had figured out what I needed to which was cool. I found that the atmosphere was very relaxed and it was just a bunch of people that seemed to want to workout and move on, this was only the first time in there so that opinion may change but I enjoyed myself while I was there this time around. I was offered a "fitness evaluation" at no charge which includes a talk with a trainer as well as a workout so that they might gauge my fitness level along with some other things like taking a measurement of my body fat etc. I declined as none of it really interested me for now because I have a good idea of what I want to do and I really don't care what my percentage of body fat is currently, I think that we can all agree that its high, perhaps down the road this will interest me but not right now.

My intake came in at 1715 total calories for the day and I think that I over guesstimated the calories on my home made chicken soup so I am probably just under that number. To say that I was hydrated yesterday is very much an understatement as I drank 1.25 gallons of Green tea and about a gallon of straight H2O and obviously I got some movement in at the gym, have a look at yesterdays menu.

Breakfast
7:15 AM
2 cups honey combs 220
1 cup 1% milk 110

10:30 AM
1 banana 105
1 T peanut butter 95

Lunch
2:30 PM
4oz hot capicola 240
1 lavash bread 100
lettuce/tomato/pickle 40
less than a T miracle whip 25
7oz strawberries 70

Dinner
6:30 PM
2 cups home made chicken soup 350
1 multigrain english muffin 100
smart balance spread 20

7:30 PM
2 oranges 170

8:30 PM
1oz turkey pepperoni 70

I am off to a good start this week with everything that I need to be and I plan on heading to the gym again this afternoon at some point. Shooting for a 4 pound loss this week is still on the wall, making that number will make a certain fella very happy come Friday and at the same time if it is under four pounds that same fella will not be too disappointed. Now that I have my initial gym trip out of the way all of my apprehension has gone away and maybe I will explore a new machine today, or maybe I will just ride the bike for a week to get a little more familiar before I go falling off of an elliptical machine! I do look forward to starting in on the weights but again I want to go slow for a few reasons one of which I already mentioned and another is so that I don't injure myself by trying to do too much all at once.

That's it, the end of a post so until next time keep on keepin on and all that.

As Ever
Me

3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel and I admire you so much for walking into that gym! I was the fat girl at my gym for so long - I had to start somewhere - I once had a full blown panic attack by the pool the day I decided to swim some laps! You can do this - and I for one admire the larger people for being there because I know if they keep it up they are doing the best thing for themselves - so I admire you!! Keep it up - you are such an inspiration and so real about everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO GLAD your experience was a great one.

    Ive worked in so many gyms and, as much as I hate to admit it, many of them had SO MANY employees with attitudes...

    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently had my first visit to the gym as well.
    I just stumbled on your blog today and have been looking through your posts and pictures...WOW what a transformation you've made! You are SO inspiring!

    ReplyDelete