Monday, May 3, 2010

A hikin' we will go.

Loads of movement for the weekend and it was all around fun, Losing 225 pounds has done wonders for my views. Wify secured a babysitter Saturday morning and we decided that we would go on a hike at a local spot and all in all it was a 4.5 mile hike which was pretty therapeutic if I am being honest. Two years ago a hike like that would have been just a thought followed by some excuse as to why we shouldn't go but with the weight gone I am again seemingly unlimited by what I can participate in. There was even a time when I may have been able to go out on a hike like that but it would have pushed me to my limit and a few days rest would have been needed just to function afterward but this time around its just not the case and being able to do whatever I want to do and not worry about the aftermath is a good feeling. Sunday my father in law invited all of the grand children to go to a science museum in the area and it was a good time, the building is 6 floors and I used it as an opportunity to get some exercise in by using the stairs to go from floor to floor all day. We spent about 4 hours there and if I was changing levels I was using the stairs and my daughter insisted that she come with me on the stairs each time and I thought that was awesome because it reinforces the habit that some work to move around should just be normal day to day stuff, have a look at a few photos from our Saturday morning hike.

Me and the boss lady at a cliff near the highest point of the hike.

Enjoying the view from the highest point of the hike.

Taking a break up on a big ol cliff Wify snapped this one from below.

Oh no!

Keeping my calories within range has been easier than ever since I upped them to 1900 per day, in fact I am finding that I am so used to my 1700 that I am having oh...200 calories left to use late in the day. Keeping hydrated is easier than ever and I am at 2 gallons of fluid by dinner most days, this weekend I drank at least 2.5 gallons per day but I am a tad sore from all of the stairs yesterday so I have a feeling that I am hanging onto more of that fluid than normal.

This week I am going to eat clean, exercise a lot and get in all of my sleep because I am too close to being under 300 pounds to not just get there already. I've talked to Wify and we are going to try and work more of these "date hikes" in so that we can mix the exercise up a bit, though I LOVE the gym I LOVE hiking more than that so if I have the chance I'm gonna jump at it. Just two years ago the Saturday that I had would be just a thought in my head and then some time on the couch sulking but this time around it was a great day out with a lovely lady. To think that if I hadn't decided to change the way things were being done I would have totally missed out on the great weekend that I had will only keep me rollin' in the right direction, I know I missed out on all too many chances when I was heavier and that's just not how its going to be any more.

Thanks for following along while this fat guy gets slim, and thank you for the support that you give me, it is appreciated more than you know.

As Ever
Me

8 comments:

  1. I love the last photo! LOL Looks like a fun weekend with lots of exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of fun. I can't wait until I am at that point.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point about the stairs at the museum. How great that your daughter gets to see you modelling this healthy behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony, I think you need to get some smaller jeans! Those are looking kind of baggy.

    I love hiking, and it's tough exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You remind me that the whole point of losing the weight is: so life can be lived and enjoyed to the fullest, just like in your great photos!

    Thanks for sharing your struggles and triumphs with us all. It is wonderful to see a nice man succeeding with his dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pics dude.

    I like the one your wife took while you were lounging with your legs hanging free. It's like you are on top of the world.

    Keep up the great work.

    MM

    ReplyDelete
  7. You two look amazing! What a great hike---and the freedom to do it without feeling like you're going to die from the effort. That's super cool.
    You're an amazing inspiration my friend. Thank you. And the stairs---as a loving father of two daughters, I especially appreciated the example you were setting. Rock solid Zeus, totally.
    That last photo--absolutely awesome. You should blow it up, print it out---and frame that one. Very cool.
    And frame the one with the two of you---great picture my friend.

    My best always
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiking is awesome awesome awesome!! It's not only great exercise, but it's a great way to get some outside time, replenish your Vitamin D, and apparently helps you bond with your wife. How can you not love that? What part of the world are you hiking in?

    ReplyDelete