Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Walk, Run, Bike, whatever Just do it!

Tuesday was a good day where diet and exercise were concerned, I ate a total of 1635 calories and I walked 2 miles in 32 minutes so my pace is improving, in addition to the walk I rode my stationary bike for 17 minutes. Why would I take a mere 17 minute ride on my bike you ask? well because that's when the pedal broke off..Again! I think that it is time for me to either upgrade to a bike that was made within the last 10 years or join a gym so that I can stop playing games with an old bike. I did take a slam on the wrist with the handle bar when the pedal sheered off, it is bruised and hurts this morning so I will skip my push ups and weights today as a precaution but I plan on a 3 mile walk this afternoon as long as the rain holds off, here is a look at yesterdays menu.

05/27/09

Breakfast
7:45 AM
2 cups honey combs 220
1 cup 1% milk 110

Lunch
12:15 PM
2 80 cal rolls 160
1 T peanut butter 95
1 T Jam 50

3:30 PM
1 can progresso soup 160
1/2 cup white rice 100

Dinner
6:15 PM
8oz grilled chicken 400
3/4 cup white rice 200
1 cup green beans 40
1 T sour cream 20
pueblo sauce 15

7:45 PM
1 orange 65

I mentioned joining a gym, my daughter starts school in August and I do believe that I will be joining a gym at that time because it will be the perfect time for me to drop her off at school and go to the gym for a few hours. I have been thinking about joining a gym for a while now and now that some time is freeing up its looking like a better idea than ever. Lately I have this feeling of actually being somewhat able to do more than I have been able to in a long while, what I mean is that I do not feel limited by my weight any more in the way that being 500 plus pounds can make a person feel. The feeling lately is more like I can do anything that I want to instead of "no way men I need my knees for a few more years" The weight that I am at now is the weight that I have been comfortable at for most of my life, or should I say my life from about 19 to 28 or so, just before I blew up so lately I have been getting this feeling that I am coming around to new ground where my physical ability comes into play which brings me to my next point.

I am planning on starting the C25K program on June 1st, me running? me? the fella that was 534 pounds not so long ago? Yes! Me running. Now I did run a bit in my mid 20's but it was more like when I had some thinking to do (which back then there was lots of that!) and at about 300 pounds or so (an estimate for my weight as I don't know what I was) which is about what I weigh now, I was running 3 times per week about 2 miles but never 2 whole miles in a row, I do believe that one mile was the limit before I walked back then and now I have it in my head to run 5 kilometers continuously. Will my back hold out? (the injury) will my knees hold out? after all I was 500 plus pounds at one point and am still 300 plus, will I be able to run continuously for that long without passing out? I do not know the answers to any of these questions but if I don't try how will I find out? I do know the answer to that one and it's I won't know until I try, so its all I can do.

I am heading out for a walk before the rain starts again so this post has come to an end, thanks for following along! tune in tomorrow for the next mind riddling episode of as the fat guy turns, and don't forget that H2O because it is one of the most important parts of a successful weight loss plan.

As Ever
Me

4 comments:

  1. I think joining a gym is a great idea. I would recommend looking at beginner weight training books at the library or something so you'll have a game plan (maybe you already have some books). I know for me before I started using "The Book Of Muscle" I didn't really have a clue what I should be doing. I've found I've had to modify some things in the BOM workouts because of my knees but otherwise I have really grown a lot stronger using the book plus its super informative about so much stuff I never had a clue about.

    As for the running just make sure you find yourself a really good pair of shoes. I wear Asics 2130 which were recommended by a trainer at the gym. I really love them.

    As for the knees I don't know what kind of shape yours are in but mine just don't seem able to stand to much running. So I sort of walk/jog but still haven't worked my way up to all that much at one shot. I figure as I lose more weight it will get easier for me.

    I'm rooting you on though I'm sure you can do anything you put your mind to you've already proved that. Have fun on your walk hope the rain holds off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how many choices of gyms you have but I would try and find a gym that you feel comfortable in right away. I find the the people you train around have a subtle influence on your work out.

    I went to "serious" gym and it was so hard to work in with the regulars. It was really social.

    I went to an expensive gym where everyone was already really fit, wearing nice expensive trainers. I felt as a fat shabby dressed foreigner people were not impressed.

    Then I went to cheap community gym where even the attendant is fat. I love the place. Retired people, unemployeed people, lots of rundown but maintained equipment. My kind of place. And about a dollar 60 US a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gyms can really be kinda a crapshoot, but from my own experience, and for me personally, I find it really helps me "get in the zone" more so than just going out and running sprints, doing bodyweight exercises, and trying sandbag lifts (although all those are a nice change in the routine from time to time).

    But really, that's an awesome feeling of being at a place where you know you can once again / finally physically do stuff like run and be active. For me when I was in the mid 4's, it wasn't my knees so much as my skins that would KILL me for days after anything physical.

    Now, at all, and that's an awesome feeling.

    Will
    4xlt.WillPhillips.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know I think joining a gym is GREAT and that weight training is the key to all things weightloss/metabolism boosting.

    hope to be joining you in the running soon.

    (and you know where to find me if you have any gym/weights questions as well!)

    ReplyDelete