Thursday, July 2, 2009

C25K, Meet bike, Bike, Meet C25K...Hi!

Today is Thursday, that means that tomorrow is normally weigh in day and I at this point in the week I am usually going over my excel sheet and checking how I have done all week but somehow this week it has escaped my focus because I have not stood on my scale at all and my excel sheet looks kind of random. I almost don't want to get on the scale because I suspect that I am up in weight, I have not been exercising like I should, I have not run C25K in more than a week now but I have bought a bike so I am at least getting that into my days. The newness of the bike that I have now is carrying my decisions where working out go, which basically means that my posterior hurts a bit as well as my quads so I am kind of in a transition phase with getting use to the bike, again because its just really fun to ride right now.

There are a few things going on in my life right now not related to weight loss which need attention that are taking up lots of my time and when that happens I tend to not workout as hard or as often and is a point that I need to work on so that I can keep the weight going in a downward direction. I had a birthday so I ate cake this week, I was getting over being sick and not running because of that and now I have my new toy on top of all of that which I had a problem with so I had to go get that corrected, and then there is the personal stuff going on. I make no excuses and I accept that I have just been really busy so the exercise has suffered a bit and none of the above means that I am off track, just a tad more than swamped with stuff not related to weight loss, with all of that said I have kind of put together a plan of sorts on a cross training program for myself which includes completing the C25K program while adding bike riding.

What I plan on doing is starting where I left off with the C25K program continuing with week 3 but instead of following the duration that the program calls for I plan on adding biking between the running days, to start off it will look something like this.

Monday - C25K
Tuesday - Off day (calisthenics & light weights)
Wednesday - Bike ride
Thursday - Off day (calisthenics & light weights)
Friday - C25K
Saturday - Bike ride
Sunday - Off day

With the above program I will just run each week of C25k 3 times like the program calls for and will just run the third run on whatever day it falls on. This is what I am planning to do until I am comfortably riding the bike ie: no more sore sit bones! once I am comfortably doing this set up I will change things up a bit hopefully ending with a program that resembles this.

Monday - C25K or (running normally)
Tuesday - Bike ride & ST
Wednesday - C25K or (running normally)
Thursday - Bike ride & ST
Friday - C25K or (running normally)
Saturday - Bike ride & ST
Sunday - Off day, possibly a hike

I wrote running normally because I don't know when I will complete the C25K program and when I do complete it I plan on running alternately with the bike riding because I have really come to like running. If I am being honest I just cannot do both together right now because I am spent after running and I am spent after biking and overworking myself will surely result in an injury which will just slow progress further, so when the novelty of the new bike wears off and my arse is not thumping the day after a decent ride is when I will get back to C25K which with any luck will not be long at all. I want you all to know that I am completing C25k but I am also going to enjoy exercising on my bike too so there it is, and actually its all working my body out! I actually think that mixing it up with biking/running will result in a stronger me as well as keep the weight moving in the right direction.

I have to admit that this week I kind of veered of track with the eating and hydration, I have not been drinking as much as I should, less than a gallon on some days which is a far cry less than my two plus gallon pace that I usually do and I have not had green tea daily this week either. I have rectified the situation and have started drinking all of my fluids again starting with today and my excel sheet is being used properly again as well.

Here's to the coming weeks and the lower weight! have I mentioned that I love my new bike yet? keep on keepin on and all that.

As Ever
Me

4 comments:

  1. You have to get a pair of padded bike shorts... they really help, and yes, there is a place to get your size. Google aerotechdesigns. They have quick service and make the product right in PA. I'm one of the larger happy biking customers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great schedule. Did you know if you add in swimming you'd almost be training for a triathlon - hahahahaha! Seriously, biking is considered cross training for running so even though you use your legs for both things, they work different muscles and alternating will help you stay injury free. Besides, so much more fun to be on a bike going somewhere than a stationary bike, right? I agree with nancy about the padded bike shorts. Totally worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy thanks for the lead on some shorts :)

    Helen, I am in fact also swimming ;) I live on a lake and wify was a competitive swimmer until age 18 beginning at age 7 or so if I remember right and she is teaching me to swim better so I will be spending some time in the water as well ;), its just for fun though, I don;t try and make it a work out.

    Thanks for the comments guys ;)

    As Ever
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's tough when the personal things and 'life' get in the way of our plans. The funny thing though is that we can make time for whatever we want to. Life tries to distract us. It tries to show us that it can dictate ever move of our day, but you and I have something in common. Our health and well-being have to be a priority, no matter what life says about it.

    ReplyDelete